5 Signs It’s Time for a New Job
Does your job leave you exhausted, unhappy, and dreading the work week? It can be difficult to admit that our current job isn’t a good fit; you might be worried about the difficulty of finding something new. But deep down, you probably know that if a job doesn’t make you feel energized and excited, it isn’t worth it in the long run. But how do you know if it’s time to move on?
Many people trudge through their workweek, counting the days and hours until 5:00 Friday. Numerous others plug away in good-paying positions, calendars filled with meetings and tasks, and a slate of KPIs penned in the margins, reminding them of the ever-present need to produce results. They look successful from the outside, but on the inside, they feel “meh” — something is missing.
“All the effort in the world won’t matter if you’re not inspired.” – Chuck Palahniuk (Creator of the movie “Fight Club”)
5 Reasons You Might Be Ready for a New Job
- Your Job Doesn’t Utilize Your Skills – One of the most obvious signs that you’re in the wrong job is if your current role doesn’t match your professional skill set. Ask yourself– are your skills being developed and utilized? Are you feeling challenged? If not, then it might be time to think about moving on.
- You Never Feel Challenged – While some might thrive off routine tasks, many need something more stimulating to stay engaged at work. Do you feel like every day is the same and you aren’t growing? Then it may be time to find something else that pushes your limits or expands your skillsets.
- You Don’t Enjoy Going to Work – This should come as no surprise, but if going to work feels like an obligation instead of an opportunity, then chances are you may not be satisfied with what you do for a living. Feeling unmotivated or uninspired by your day-to-day tasks could indicate a more significant problem—like a mismatch between what you’re doing and who you are as an employee and a person.
- There’s Little Room for Growth – If there isn’t much opportunity for advancement at your current job, your future prospects don’t look very bright either. Unless you plan on staying at one company forever (which isn’t ideal), it might be time to look elsewhere for potential growth opportunities before it’s too late.
- You Don’t Feel Supported – A good workplace should foster collaboration between people. Being able to contribute, and being heard by others, helps create a positive working environment where everyone feels supported and valued. While disagreements and conflict are a normal part of the work environment, there is a respectful way to “agree to disagree.” If you’re in an environment that feels toxic, or where projects are persistently stalled and underfunded, or where no one seems to care about the customers they serve, you’d be wise to put to start putting your feelers out for someplace better.
Work with Purpose
If you feel it’s time to find work that is more significant to you, you are not alone. Research has shown that more people seek meaning and purpose in their work. According to a LinkedIn survey, 61% of Gen Z professionals ranked “the opportunity to make an impact” as the most important factor regarding job satisfaction.
This trend is also demonstrated in other studies, such as the Deloitte Global Human Capital Trends report which found that 87% of respondents expressed an interest in pursuing jobs with purpose. Additionally, according to the World Economic Forum, approximately 80 million millennials have already made career changes to align with their personal values and purpose.
All this data shows us that individuals are increasingly searching for meaningful jobs aligning with their values and beliefs!
“That which does not bring you alive is too small for you, and whatever makes your heart race, whatever creates an energy in your soul, whatever causes a revolution inside your own chest, this is the work that seeks you now.” – from David Whyte’s poem, “Sometimes.”
Ready to take action towards something better?
Check out some guidance here from Equiliem on how to get your job search going in 2023.
Equiliem (www.equiliem.com) believes in empowering success. It’s our job to cultivate relationships that connect people and employers in a way that is inclusive, intelligent, and allows both to thrive.
Across the U.S., leading companies in healthcare, government, light industrial manufacturing, professional services, and energy rely on us for their workforce solutions. Our recruiting and HR services include contract and direct hire staffing, Payrolling/EOR, Independent Contractor Compliance, and Managed Services.
For over 50 years, we’ve helped shape our industry. Today, we continue to research, ask questions, and continuously enhance the candidate journey and client experience.