5 Ways to Show Appreciation at Work
Administrative Professionals Day falls on April 26 this year. We take a moment to explore why this day matters, and how you can make a difference to those around you. Join us in saying thank you!
As we approach Administrative Professionals Day, it’s important to remember the individuals in our workplaces who work tirelessly behind the scenes to keep everything running smoothly. These individuals are essential to the success of any organization. In honor of Admin Professionals Day, it’s time to give them the recognition they deserve and show our appreciation for all they do. Plus, this day serves as a reminder to give gratitude to all those who help us at work, day in and day out.
According to a study by Globoforce, 78% of workers said being recognized motivates them in their job, while 69% said they would work harder if they felt their efforts were better appreciated. Despite these statistics, many organizations fail to adequately recognize and appreciate their employees, particularly those in administrative roles.
How can we show our appreciation for these unsung heroes?
5 Ways to Show Appreciation at Work
- Say thank you: This might seem like an obvious one, but sometimes a simple “thank you” can go a long way. Take a moment to express your appreciation for the work they do and be specific about what you’re thanking them for.
- Give a small gift: It doesn’t have to be anything expensive, but a small token of appreciation can show that you’re thinking of them. A gift card, a favorite snack or beverage, or even a handwritten note can mean a lot.
- Provide public recognition: If appropriate, give a shoutout in a team meeting or publicly recognize their contributions in some other way. This can not only make the individual feel appreciated but can also inspire others to show their gratitude.
- Offer professional development opportunities: Show that you value their growth and career advancement by offering opportunities for training, mentoring, or other professional development.
- Allow for flexibility: Administrative professionals often must juggle a variety of tasks and responsibilities. Offering flexibility in terms of hours or work arrangements can go a long way in demonstrating your appreciation for their hard work.
When it comes to showing appreciation, it’s important to keep in mind that everyone is different. Some individuals may prefer public recognition, while others may appreciate a more private gesture.
A Relatable Read to Learn More
The book “You’re Going to Survive: True stories about adversity, rejection, defeat, terrible bosses, online trolls, 1-star Yelp reviews, and other soul-crushing experiences” by Alexandra Franzen offers some inspiring quotes about the power of gratitude and appreciation that can help guide our words and actions.
One example from the book that highlights the power of gratitude and appreciation comes from an essay by Alexandra Franzen herself. In the essay, she recounts how a simple act of kindness from a stranger changed her entire day. The stranger complimented her on her outfit and wished her a good day, which made her feel appreciated and seen. This small gesture lifted her spirits and made her feel grateful for the kindness of others.
Similarly, in another essay from the book, a woman describes how a handwritten note of appreciation from her boss made her feel valued and recognized in her role. The note acknowledged her hard work and dedication, and even though it was a small gesture, it made a big impact on her.
These examples demonstrate how simple acts of gratitude and appreciation can have a profound impact on our well-being and happiness. They also remind us that giving thanks can be just as beneficial for the giver as it is for the receiver.
Everyday Appreciation: The Power to Empower
Ultimately, showing appreciation for administrative professionals shouldn’t be limited to just one day a year. Regularly expressing gratitude and recognition can create an energetic exchange that empowers individuals and fosters a positive workplace culture. As we celebrate Admin Professionals Day, let’s consider it the beginning of a habit, showing appreciation for our colleagues not just today but every day.
Equiliem (www.equiliem.com) believes in empowering success. It’s our job to cultivate relationships that connect people and employers in a way that is inclusive, intelligent, and allows both to thrive.
Across the U.S., leading companies in healthcare, government, light industrial manufacturing, professional services, and energy rely on us for their workforce solutions. Our recruiting and HR services include contract and direct hire staffing, Payrolling/EOR, Independent Contractor Compliance, and Managed Services.
For over 50 years, we’ve helped shape our industry. Today, we continue to research, ask questions, and continuously enhance the candidate journey and client experience.